Scope of Work
What you'll be doing
As a senior designer at Strut, you produce conceptual design and communication solutions to meet internal and external clients’ needs in both print and digital media. You have extensive knowledge of graphic design, advertising and brand building and are a creative and innovative person with strong communication skills and meticulous attention to detail. You are a critical thinker, strategic problem solver, can adapt easily to changing project requirements or situations and consistently take initiative to address current or potential challenges and opportunities.
You will be required to design and produce creative solutions for a wide variety of projects and activities, including but not limited to, corporate communications, visual identities and brand assets, websites, advertising, annual reports, magazines, posters, product packaging, motion graphics, exhibitions and displays. You work effectively both individually and with a team, are open to different perspectives and feedback, lead by example, and mentor other team members.
You will work closely with the art director and/or creative director on creative concepts, over-arching design direction and implementation with expert knowledge of software and techniques for both print and digital applications. You will collaborate with members of our creative, client services and technology teams to meet the requirements of a project brief and strive to exceed expectations.
You will lead the design and development of creative concepts:
- Develop creative solutions, concepts and designs that fulfill the brief and meet all project objectives
- Think creatively to produce new ideas and concepts that are in line with clients’ brand standards and industry trends
- Present ideas and concepts supported by creative rational
- Meet with clients to discuss project and/or present materials when required
You will collaborate with members of the team:
- Work closely with the art director and/or creative director on concepts
- Collaborate with illustrators, photographers, copywriters, designers and client partners
- Mentor team members by sharing knowledge, learnings, industry trends and best practices
- Assist with overseeing intermediate designers’s work
- Communicate effectively with web developers
- Provide and receive constructive feedback
You will design and build artwork:
- Design logos and develop complete visual identity systems, including brand standards guidelines
- Create sitemaps and wireframes following user experience best practices
- Design websites following user interface best practices
- Develop and build files ready for web development
- Develop and build illustrations, infographics and other visuals required for projects
- Develop fresh ideas while adhering to brand guidelines
- Apply one concept across multiple channels
- Layout multi-page documents using supplied copy, sourced and supplied photography and other supporting visuals
- Proof work to produce accurate and high-quality deliverables
- Conduct occasional press checks
- Prepare and package files for both print and digital media
Bonus points if:
- You have motion graphics experience
- Have a knack for copywriting
- Mix mean cocktail
You will work responsibly and accurately:
- Be aware of, and work within, allocated hours to ensure design time stays within project budget
- Be aware of, and work towards, project deadlines in order to meet client timelines and expectations
Skills + Experience
Things you'll bring to the table
This position requires strong visual problem solving, layout and typographic skills. People in this role need to be open to new ideas and influences, and quick to respond to changing needs, priorities and trends. The ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team are equally important traits.
You possess the following skills and experience:
- Strong understanding of design, advertising, branding
- Strong understanding of art history, popular culture and social landscape
- Strong web design skills and extensive knowledge and experience designing with UI/UX best practices and meeting WCAG standards
- A good eye and strong visual problem-solving skills
- Advanced proficiency using InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator are mandatory
- Illustration, photo-illustration and/or diagram building skills (an asset)
- Experience designing motion graphics (an asset)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Attention to detail, and pride in craftsmanship
- Commitment to delivering a high level of service
- 4-year post-secondary design education, preferably a Bachelor of Design
- 5+ years of professional graphic design experience
Who we are
We are small and mighty.
We are creative, curious and thirsty.
We are thinkers, doers, problem-solvers, and dreamers.
We believe in humanity.
We value company culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We wear jeans on Mondays.
We drink beer on Fridays.
We write on the walls.
We bring our dogs to work.
We have a good sense of humour.
We work hard. We play hard.
And we have a good time doing both.
We are a design and communications agency with a passion for helping brands and organizations tell their story, and build relationships with their most important audiences.
We create national engagement programs, corporate communications, strategies, identities, websites, apps, advertising campaigns, annual reports, magazines, posters, product packaging, motion graphics, videos, exhibitions, displays, and this one time we hand-crafted a miniature recreation of Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
Wifi signal mandatory. Pants optional.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Strut team is adhering to Provincial regulations with respect to remote work. During this time, work will be primarily conducted remotely with the option to work from the Strut office as permitted and based on applicable Municipal, Provincial or Federal regulations.
Strut is committed to hiring the best talent. We are open to hiring applicants who live outside of Calgary (i.e. Toronto, Vancouver, etc.) who wish to work remotely, full-time even post-pandemic.
We don’t want cookie-cutter Strutters
At Strut, we value diverse ideas and opinions to push ourselves and do our best work. We know the best way to achieve this is through developing an inclusive team with diverse life perspectives. Our bio page may not always reflect it, but we openly welcome anyone no matter their race, colour, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, or physical ability. Please feel free to be the unique you.