We are Strut
We are small and mighty.
We are creative, curious and thirsty.
We are thinkers, doers, problem-solvers, and dreamers.
We believe in humanity.
We value company culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We wear jeans on Mondays.
We drink beer on Fridays.
We write on the walls.
We bring our dogs to work.
We use semicolons.
We have a good sense of humour.
We work hard. We play hard.
And we have a good time doing both.
We are a design and communications agency with a passion for helping brands and organizations tell their story, and build relationships with their most important audiences.
We create national engagement programs, corporate communications, strategies, identities, websites, apps, advertising campaigns, annual reports, magazines, posters, product packaging, motion graphics, videos, exhibitions, displays, and this one time we hand-crafted a miniature recreation of Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
And right now, we’re seeking an experienced, Front-end Developer to join our mighty team.
You would be a critical member in our small, yet multi-functional team of developers who believe in rolling up their sleeves and delivering outstanding solutions for any project that comes our way. You would be instrumental in taking the designed site mock-ups and bringing them to life.
Scope of work
Things you’ll be doing
- Develop new applications within WordPress
- Develop technologies as part of our software product development team
- Troubleshoot front-end issues across all supported modern browsers
- Ensure code meets standards by living and breathing current best-practices while expecting the same from the other members on the team
- Engage in QA-related activities
- Participate in daily stand-ups and collaborate with the team to accomplish sprint goals between normal working, weekday hours
- Offer solid interpersonal and communication skills with excellent fluency in English
- Communicate with Account managers and Technology Director to clarify system requirements and fine tune your deliverables to meet the expectations of the client
- Collaborate with teammates to analyze and creatively solve technical challenges with a goal of developing solutions that are robust and scalable
- Mentor peer developers to help build the team’s overall knowledge base
- Use Adobe CC Suite, primarily Photoshop, Sketch and/or Figma
Things you bring to the table
- A Bachelor’s Degree or diploma/certificate in related program
- 5+ years professional experience with LAMP stack web technologies (PHP, modern HTML, CSS / LESS / SASS, MySQL, JSON etc.).
- 5+ years using web CMS platforms
- Understanding of modern build processes and code bundling as well as the concepts involved
- Experience building and supporting WordPress, bonus points for Laravel and CodeIgniter
- Expertise with front-end frameworks such as Bootstrap, Blade, Mustache, or Twig.
- Expertise in developing, debugging, and performance tuning websites.
- Good understanding of application development methodologies and experience with agile team development
- Experience with IDE development tools, Git and version control tools (GitLab, Github etc.), package management tools (e.g. NPM), and task runners (e.g. Gulp, Grunt etc.)
- Understanding and appreciation of WCAG web accessibility standards and the importance of building sites that are accessible to all
- Expertise and experience of best SEO practices
- Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills with excellent fluency in English
- Proven analytical, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent people skills with a focus on team collaboration and overall project success
- Comfortable in the Mac OS and Linux environments
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Strut team is adhering to Provincial regulations with respect to remote work. During this time, work will be primarily conducted remotely with the option to work from the Strut office as permitted and based on applicable Municipal, Provincial or Federal regulations.
Strut is committed to hiring the best talent. We are open to hiring applicants who live outside of Calgary (i.e. Toronto, Vancouver, etc.) who wish to work remotely, full-time even post-pandemic.
We don’t want cookie-cutter Strutters
At Strut, we value diverse ideas and opinions to push ourselves and do our best work. We know the best way to achieve this is through developing an inclusive team with diverse life perspectives. Our bio page may not always reflect it, but we openly welcome anyone no matter their race, colour, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or physical ability.
If you love what you see and think you could strut with us, drop us a line. If we love what we see, we’ll make room.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.