We are Strut
We are small and mighty.
We are creative, curious and thirsty.
We are thinkers, doers, problem-solvers, and dreamers.
We believe in humanity.
We value company culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We wear jeans on Mondays.
We drink beer on Fridays.
We write on the walls.
We bring our dogs to work.
We have a good sense of humour.
We work hard. We play hard.
And we have a good time doing both.
We are a design and communications agency with a passion for helping brands and organizations tell their story, and build relationships with their most important audiences.
We create national engagement programs, corporate communications, strategies, identities, websites, apps, advertising campaigns, annual reports, magazines, posters, product packaging, motion graphics, videos, exhibitions, displays, and this one time we hand-crafted a miniature recreation of Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
And right now, we’re seeking an experienced and inspiring Creative Director, Campaigns to join our team.
We’re looking for someone who’s a heavy-hitter in both conceptual thinking and storytelling with significant experience as a creative lead in developing campaigns that grab attention, shift behaviour, persuade, sell, and help clients build relationships with their most important audiences.
You will have had multiple years of experience in similar agency roles, with a portfolio of work spanning clients and sectors as equally diverse as your own interests and background. You’re someone who has developed and lead everything from brand building ads and social media campaigns to media stunts and omni-channel marketing programs. You’re equally adept at digital and traditional advertising as you are bouncing between B2C and B2B.
Your presentation skills get standing ovations, you’ve got proven problem-solving abilities, and you possess a borderline obsessive passion for your craft. But that doesn’t mean you have a huge ego. You always arrive ready to conquer each day through sharing ideas, collaboration and mentorship.
Scope of work
Things you'll be doing
Determine the overall strategy, concept and approach to advertising, marketing and communications campaigns; leading their design, development and execution:
- Serve as a creative lead, overseeing multiple projects at one time, from initial concept and ideation through to execution and production
- Develop creative strategies, concepts and solutions for B2C and B2B advertising, marketing and communications campaigns and initiatives
- Understanding project objectives and parameters as conveyed by the client and/or Client Partners to produce new ideas and creative concepts that meet objectives and are in line with clients’ brand standards and industry trends
- Prepare initial designs, sketches, video scripts, storyboards, or comps to illustrate your vision for designers to execute and to inform project team
- Prepare compelling visual presentations for both internal team and client presentations
- Meet with clients when required to present creative, discuss creative strategy and/or pitch ideas
- Contribute ideas, concepts and creative strategies to new business pitches and proposals
Work in close collaboration with the Creative, Client Services and Technology teams to ensure the successful execution of creative strategies, concepts and ideas; remaining accountable for the quality of all creative output on the projects you lead:
- Lead and direct members of the Creative team (including contractors) in the successful completion of projects; ensuring that project objectives are met within time and budget
- Provide direction and feedback to team members on techniques and process to execute and enhance an idea or concept; critique creative work at regular intervals for each project you lead to ensure ideas are being executed to meet requirements and standards
- Oversee and maintain accountability for the quality assurance of all creative output on the projects you lead; prooﬁng work and providing constructive feedback and direction when necessary on designers’ work, process and executions
- Work with other creative leads, Client Services team and management to coordinate required resources to implement and execute all aspects of the projects you lead through to completion; request additional resources (staff, contractors, equipment) and participate in recruiting and hiring as required
- Brief and direct illustrators, photographers, copywriters, motion designers and senior/intermediate designers to create artwork required for projects and ensure they achieve your intended result
- Manage relationships with freelancers, including but not limited to: art directors, designers, animators, copywriters, photographers, videographers and illustrators
- Inspire creative excellence; mentor team members by sharing knowledge, techniques, learnings, industry trends and best practices
- Attend on location photo/video shoots and recording sessions to provide art direction and quality assurance
Things you bring to the table
The ability to develop big-picture ideas, while keeping an eye on the finest details is crucial to this position. This role requires leadership skills, conceptual and innovative problem solving skills, current understanding of industry trends and best practices, and excellent communication techniques and processes. People in this role must have a drive for leadership and excellence, must be able to effectively communicate their ideas visually, verbally, and in writing, have the ability to respond quickly to changing needs, priorities, trends or project requirements and be open to new ideas/inﬂuences.
- Bachelors Degree in visual communications, design or equivalent
- Minimum 6 years of creative agency experience
- Minimum 3 years as a Creative Director or Creative team lead in an agency setting
- Self-motivated with a talent for motivating others
- Ability to effectively prioritize a variety of projects at the same time
- Strong understanding of popular culture, current trends and social landscape
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Expert knowledge in digital / traditional advertising channels and media
- Experience and expertise in the design of motion graphics, video production, creating narratives, and visual story-telling
- Strong leadership experience including mentoring and team management
We don’t want cookie-cutter Strutters
At Strut, we value diverse ideas and opinions to push ourselves and do our best work. We know the best way to achieve this is through developing an inclusive team with diverse life perspectives. Our bio page may not always reflect it, but we openly welcome anyone no matter their race, colour, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or physical ability.
If you love what you see and think you could strut with us, drop us a line. If we love what we see, we’ll make room.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.