Scope of Work
Things you'll be doing
In this role you’d be responsible for the leadership and overall direction of our Accounts team as it relates to client service, staffing, training, organizational development, and quality control. You will work to thoroughly understand Strut’s various processes, approaches and capabilities, be able to demonstrate the value of these offerings to clients, and lead all aspects of their planning and execution.
Be the Mr (or Ms) Miyagi to Strut’s Accounts team:
- Lead by example; demonstrate strong work ethic, creative abilities and industry expertise
- Communicate and inspire colleagues and staff through vision, goals and strategy for client teams and guide them to produce creative and effective outcomes
- Set and pursue challenging stretch goals for you and your team
- Manage conflicts well
- Create a team environment that encourages a high degree of accountability to clients and to one another
- Ensure Account Managers are actively directing projects (not just letting them unfold) and that client expectations are being met or exceeded
- Ensure Accounts team is drafting detailed project briefs for all projects and that the Creative and Technology teams have all project requirements
- Attend client meetings with Account Managers as needed
- Keep up to date on the status of major projects and anticipate potential issues
- Mentor and contribute to the development of Accounts team members
- Help manage other Account Managers’ and Account Coordinators’ projects and accounts when they are away from the office
Help grow existing clients and gain new clients:
- Work with Managing Director to establish achievable revenue growth targets including management of sales pipeline
- Develop new business leads when possible
- Respond to new business meetings and RFPs with written proposals and ensure that any proposals or estimates prepared by the broader Accounts team meet standards
- Assess communications and marketing needs by meeting with existing and potential clients
- Meet and correspond with current, past and prospective clients from time to time in order to keep Strut top-of-mind
- Demonstrate Strut’s expertise by contributing articles to digital and traditional publications, participating in organizations or engaging in speaking opportunities and by supporting Strut’s marketing initiatives and intellectual property
Manage the moneys:
- Understand core financial constructs including revenue, profitability, pricing structures, utilization, realization, budgeting and forecasting
- Negotiate client and vendor contracts and manage client budgeting and authorization process prior to beginning work
- Manage and keep updated an accurate accounting of all booked work and balances to invoice
- Manage and keep updated an accurate accounting of utilization rates for each department
- Proactively plan and maintain team structures to ensure reasonable workloads, optimized profitability, accommodation to project and budget changes, and to avoid over-servicing
- Accurately record your time correctly to the right docket codes on a timely basis – ideally daily, but no later than weekly and ensure all members of Accounts team do the same
- Review and approve project estimates, invoices and POs for members of Accounts team
- Use Strut’s financial system to bill clients accurately and minimize delays and adjustments
- Help ensure the Accounts team follows all of Strut’s financial policies and processes
Things you're really good at
- 5+ years experience in a senior client-services role at an integrated marketing / communications agency including experience managing teams and subordinates
- Excellent organizational, planning and management skills
- Strong relationship-building skills with a talent for motivating team members and collaborating with clients
- High level of professionalism combined with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of design, advertising, communications, web and print production
- Participation in the development and adoption of new products, services, intellectual property and thought leadership materials related to your areas of expertise
- Staying up-to-date with emerging technologies and trends and demonstrate expert understanding of how they integrate into communications programs
Who we are
We are small and mighty.
We are creative, curious and thirsty.
We are thinkers, doers, problem-solvers, and dreamers.
We believe in humanity.
We value company culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We wear jeans on Mondays.
We drink beer on Fridays.
We write on the walls.
We bring our dogs to work.
We have a good sense of humour.
We work hard. We play hard.
And we have a good time doing both.
We are a design and communications agency with a passion for helping brands and organizations tell their story, and build relationships with their most important audiences.
We create national engagement programs, corporate communications, strategies, identities, websites, apps, advertising campaigns, annual reports, magazines, posters, product packaging, motion graphics, videos, exhibitions, displays, and this one time we hand-crafted a miniature recreation of Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
And right now, we’re seeking an experienced and inspiring Accounts Director to join our team.